Psalm 53

I read this verse a couple nights ago and was reminded of how much we need Jesus. We are all corrupt and fall short of the glory of God.


"The fool says in his heart, 'There is no God.'
They are corrupt, doing abominable iniquity;
there is none who does good.

God looks down from heaven on the children of man
to see if there are any who understand,
who seek after God.

They have all fallen away;
together they have become corrupt;
there is none who does good, not even one." (Psalm 53:1-3)



I usually love verses about love and hope and peace but recently I am drawn to verses that highlight our failings and sin.

I spent so many years of my life thinking that I was a "good person" and therefore right in the eyes of God. Although this was just was a version of God I had manufactured to fit my needs and desires, not the true God, not the God of the bible, not Jesus.

Now however, I need to be reminded daily that I am a sinner who needs Jesus. I need to be humbled daily and forced to remember that there is no amount of good works that I can perform to earn my way into heaven. Jesus is the only way.

"Because, if you confess with your mouth
that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God
raised him from the dead, you will be saved." (Romans 10:9)

5 Comments:

  1. KyleHendrickson said...
    Good verses.
    I am always kind of confused by these. We are all clearly fallen and short of the glory of God, but I find a great deal of hope in God saying of David that he was a man after God's own heart. And then there's good ol' John 3:16-17. :)
    I think once we meet Jesus, we can't help but understand our failings, and as we get closer to him we see more clearly how far we fall short of his glory. More clearly seeing him more as he is has to make even our minor imperfections huge failings... Paul said he was the chief sinner, and he had become pretty trusted by God and like Jesus. I think when God shows us our imperfection, it's not because he wants us to fix them, it's because he wants to come and live in those places of our hearts, wants them opened to him, and wants to resurrect them and live in them.
    Annie said...
    Kyle you're awesome! I whole heartedly agree with you and I thank you so much for commenting.

    Speaking of Paul, I was just reading in Acts the other night about Paul's conversion and I just love how Jesus works. He takes a man who hates Christians, murders then even, and changes him into one of the most well known preachers of the gospel. This is encouraging to me.
    KyleHendrickson said...
    Very encouraging. paul's conversion story is also encouraging to me in that it shows how well God can take our misguided motives and actions and mold them into Jesus's likeness. Paul was clearly zealous, he just didn't know God. How merciful of Jesus to show himself to him and give him something to be zealous for. I can't help but cringe when I think about the way I presented the gospel right after I met Jesus for the first time. Let's just say it's a good thing God can turn all things to good when we love him and that he sticks with us to grow us up.
    RDS said...
    I love you both. In different ways...
    Mary said...
    Amen Kyle and Annie

    Ryan. I hope you mean't "But not in a gay way"

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home